EASTON, Conn. – The Easton Historical Society will honor President Abraham Lincoln and celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation with a lecture by David Koch, assistant professor at Housatonic Community College in Bridgeport.
Koch will speak about the proclamation, which freed more than 3 million slaves, and how it allowed freed slaves to enroll in the U.S. Army. Many joined the 29th and 30th regiments in Connecticut and played a role in the North’s victory in the Civil War.
The free lecture takes place from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Easton Library's Community Room, 691 Morehouse Road.
- 1 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 2 NASA Rocket Launch May Be Visible In Weston, Easton
- 3 Weston Students Win Westport Halloween Window Painting Contest
- 4 Real Estate Sales Fall In Weston, Rise In Easton
- 5 Aranci 67 Serves Up A Taste Of Southern Italy In Georgetown