EASTON, Conn. – The Easton Historical Society will honor President Abraham Lincoln and celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation with a lecture by David Koch, assistant professor at Housatonic Community College in Bridgeport.
Koch will speak about the proclamation, which freed more than 3 million slaves, and how it allowed freed slaves to enroll in the U.S. Army. Many joined the 29th and 30th regiments in Connecticut and played a role in the North’s victory in the Civil War.
The free lecture takes place from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Easton Library's Community Room, 691 Morehouse Road.
- 1 Weston, Easton, Redding Rank Among State's Best Suburbs To Live In
- 2 Demographic Changes Leave Weinstein Wondering About Weston’s Future
- 3 Easton Couple Charged With Running Prescription Drug Ring In Fairfield
- 4 Court: Dad Charged In Norwalk Baby's Death Spiked Bottle With Alcohol
- 5 Lyme Disease-Spreading Ticks Arriving Early In Fairfield County, Study Says