WESTPORT, Conn. – The Westport Country Playhouse calendar for June 3 to Nov. 1 has been released and includes a number of exciting events and premieres.
Visit the Westport Country Playhouse, which named “Theater Company of the Year” by The Wall Street Journal, for the following shows:
- June 3 to 22: “Sing for Your Shakespeare,” a world premiere musical revue directed by Mark Lamos and co-conceived by Wayne Barker, Mark Lamos and Deborah Grace Winer. With selections from Cole Porter's “Kiss Me, Kate” (based on Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew”), Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim's “West Side Story” (based on “Romeo and Juliet”), and Rodgers and Hart's “The Boys from Syracuse” (based on “The Comedy of Errors”), as well as numbers by Duke Ellington, Frank Loesser, and others. The production explores how the American Songbook has been inspired for decades by Shakespeare’s works.
- Sunday, June 15, at 3 p.m. – Father’s Day is “Bring Your Dad for Free Day.” Pre-show Beaver Beer for fathers in attendance. With purchase of one ticket or more for June 15. Not applicable on previously purchased tickets. Phone/in-person sales only. Offer is subject to availability.
- Monday, June 16, at 7 p.m. – “Other People’s Money,” by Jerry Sterner, a benefit playreading to support the Playhouse’s Script in Hand series. With Broadway’s Chris Henry Coffey, Beth Fowler, Victor Garber, Shuler Hensley and Jennifer Mudge. Director is Anne Keefe, Playhouse associate artist. Tickets to the benefit playreading and post-performance “Meet the Cast” reception are $100, $50 and $30. The play is appropriate for ages 16 and up.
- July 15 to Aug. 2: “Nora,” Ingmar Bergman’s adaptation of Henrik Ibsen’s “A Doll’s House,” a story of love, blackmail and the little lies people tell, translated into English by Frederick J. Marker and Lisa-Lone Marker. Directed by David Kennedy, Playhouse associate artistic director.
- Aug. 19 to Sept. 6: “Things We Do for Love,” Alan Ayckbourn’s wickedly funny play that questions just how sane anyone really is when it comes to love. Directed by John Tillinger.
- Monday, Sept. 22, at 6:30 p.m. – Westport Country Playhouse presents its annual fundraising gala.
- Oct. 7 to Nov. 1: “Intimate Apparel” by Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage, an intricate tapestry of the joys, sorrows, tragedy, and triumph of a gifted but lonely African-American seamstress in early 20th-century Manhattan who's negotiating the choice between a love that is accepted and one that is true.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call the box office at 203-227-4177 or toll-free at 888-927-7529. Visit the box office at 25 Powers Court, off Route 1, Westport. Information and tickets also available at www.westportplayhouse.org.
Stay connected to the Playhouse on Facebook at Westport Country Playhouse and follow on Twitter @WCPlayhouse.
- 1 Easton Man To Serve 15 Years In Prison For Trying To Kill Wife By Hanging
- 2 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation
- 3 Driver Pleads Guilty In Hit-And-Run Death Of Weston Cyclist
- 4 Family Asks For Help In Finding Missing College Student, 21, From Fairfield
- 5 Chance Of Snow Returns To Easton, Redding, Weston Overnight