NORWALK, Conn. -- The summer racing season begins in earnest Saturday when Norwalk's Lightfoot Running Club holds the first race in its 37th annual Road Racing Series.
The Norwalk Recreation and Parks Department also sponsors the races. The series includes 5-, 7-, 9-, and 11-mile races that start and end at different venues throughout Norwalk,.
Saturday's race begins at 8 a.m. at Norwalk High School. Other races in the series are:
- July 12, 5-mile race, Cranbury Elementary School
- July 26, 7-mile race, Brien McMahon High School
- Aug. 9, 9-Mile Ian Eaccarino Memorial Race, Calf Pasture Beach
- Aug. 23, 11-mile race, Silvermine Elementary School
The 13.1-mile Sam Elpern Half Marathon will be run on Sept. 13 at Fox Run Elementary School. The race is also conducted by Lightfoot Runners but is not part of the summer series. Separate registration is required. All of the races begin at 8 a.m.
Water stops and post-race refreshments—including free ice cream and popsicles—will be available to all participants. Per USATF rules, no headphones will be permitted on the race course.
In addition to overall top male and female finisher awards, each of the six races will offer age group awards, from 14-years-old and under up to 70-years-old and older, and in the wheelchair category. Trophies will also be awarded to series winners and to those who compete in or help out at all six events.
“Both the Lightfoot Summer Series and the Same Elpern Half-Marathon continue to grow, attracting runners of all ages from Norwalk and beyond,” said Don Capone, president of the Lightfoot Running Club. “Thanks to our volunteers and the generous support of local sponsors, these events have truly evolved into community celebrations of running, health, and fitness. We hope to see runners of all levels join us for our 37th season!”
Both runners and walkers are encouraged to preregister. Preregistration for the entire five-race Lightfoot series (on or before June 14) is $50; registration for each of the individual 5 races is $12. The Sam Elpern Half Marathon requires a separate registration, which is $20 by Sept. 11, or $22 on race day. Online registration for all races is available at www.lightfootrunners.com. T-shirts will be given to the first 100 people who preregister for all five races.
Prerace bib and T-shirt pick-up is available at Runner’s Roost of Darien, a sponsor of the event. The races will utilize Chronomix electronic timing.
- 1 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Storm Hits Weston, Easton, Redding
- 2 Father Of Missing Fairfield Man Fears Search 'Will Not End Well'
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Weston
- 4 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 5 Easton, Redding, Weston Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm