FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- As Fairfield County drivers gear up for snowy road conditions this winter, AAA of Southern New England is offering some tips to keep motorists safe before hitting the road.
During the winter, visibility is very important. So inspect wiper blades for wear and oil; and replace the summer versions with heavy-duty winter blades, including the blade on your rear window, if applicable. Make sure headlights and rear lights are working. And finally oil door and trunk locks with a special lock lubricant.
Before installing snow tires, inspect the treads for wear. Worn tires lose their grip on slippery pavements. Make sure tires are properly inflated according to the manufacturer’s specifications. In cold weather, check tire pressure weekly since pressure can drop one pound per square inch for every 10 degrees the temperature drops. Make sure the spare is properly inflated as well.
Examine hoses and belts for wear; top off your windshield wiper fluid. By now, you should have tested or replaced your antifreeze. Check battery cables for corrosion and clean them with baking soda if necessary. Have the battery tested to make sure it’s operating at full capacity.
Keep an emergency kit in the trunk that includes the following items:
- A bag of sand or kitty litter for traction when you’re stuck
- A snow shovel
- An ice scraper and brush
- A flashlight and fresh batteries
- Paper towels or rags
- Road triangles and flares
- A blanket, gloves; and an extra jacket
- A first-aid kit
- Jumper cables
- 1 Weston Man Charged With Hitting Pedestrian In Westport
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Busy Route 57 In Weston Closing All Summer For Construction
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital