STAMFORD, Conn. -- Eight mayors and first selectmen in Fairfield County are proclaiming April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
The area officials supporting the initiative included those from Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Stamford, Norwalk, Westport, Weston and Wilton. The proclamations urge all citizens of Lower Fairfield County to support the efforts of The Center in Stamford and to educate themselves on the issue of sexual assault.
The Center adopted “Don’t Be a Bystander” as its theme for April. The Center is using Sexual Assault Awareness Month as a time to highlight Bystander Intervention.
“Bystander Intervention is making a decision to take an action when someone you know ( or maybe someone you don’t know) is getting hurt or could possibly be in danger," said Ivonne Zucco, executive director of The Center, in a press release. “So many bad situations could be avoided if we followed our instincts and stood up for one another when we see something wrong. The problem is that many times we want to help, but don’t know how. The Center offers age appropriate education programs that teach individuals how to intervene in safe, non-violent ways if they witness harassment or assault.”
Among the activities The Center has scheduled to commemorate Sexual Assault Awareness Month are:
- April 11: Sexual Assault Awareness Event at Staples High School in Westport.
- April 24: Raise Your Glass, Raise Awareness: “Party Like It’s 1979,” celebrating The Center’s 35th Anniversary and honoring Dudley Williams; Stamford Marriot Hotel and Spa, 7 to 10 p.m.
- April 25: Sexual Assault Awareness tabling event at New Canaan High School.
- April 25: Zumba at Our Lady Star of the Sea. 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- 1 Weston, Easton Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Forecast Worsens With More Snow Predicted For Easton, Redding, Weston
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Weston With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 4 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 5 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Weston, Easton; Blizzard Watch Issued