WESTPORT, Conn. – A group of parents from various towns in Fairfield County is meeting with the CT Coalition Against Gun Violence Monday in Westport about what individual people can do to stop mass shootings such as the one that took the lives of 26 children and adults in Newtown on Friday.
“We’re just regular parents. We wanted to get together to try to prevent this from ever happening again,” said Meg Staunton, one of the organizers.
The group also expects U.S. Rep. Jim Himes (D-4th District) to attend.
They’re meeting at 11 a.m. Monday at Christ and Holy Trinity Church on Church Lane in downtown Westport, near the YMCA. The public is invited to attend and is asked to RSVP here.
In a statement released Sunday, the group said, “The Internet and social network sites are abuzz with questions of 'what can we do?'
"Instead of sitting back and feeling hopeless, a group of concerned parents ... have decided to come together on Monday morning at 11am to address this very issue: What can we do as parents to ensure the safety of our children?”
For more information, see the attached pdf.
Attached: (westport_parents_group.pdf)Get Breaking News In Your Inbox
- 1 Easton, Redding, Weston Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Weston
- 3 Lots Of Buzz Going On At Weston's Red Bee Honey
- 4 Plane Skids Off Runway At LaGuardia Airport, All Flights Diverted
- 5 Expect More Snow: Winter Weather Advisory Remains In Effect In Weston