NORTHERN FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Temperatures remained stubbornly below zero on Tuesday morning, even after the sun rose across parts of northern Fairfield County.
The temperature was only -3 degrees at about 8 a.m. in Danbury, Ridgefield, Wilton and Redding, according to the National Weather Service.
Temperatures hit the teens along the coastline of Fairfield County as the entire region was under bright, sunny skies on Tuesday.
Temperatures should warm into the 20s on Tuesday as the sunny conditions continue. Wednesday will dawn sunny as well, but storm will overtake the area by Wednesday evening, possibly bringing a half-foot of snow to the area by Thursday.
The American Red Cross reminds residents to protect themselves from the current bitter cold with hats, mittens and scarves covering exposing skin when outside. Exposure to cold can lead to serious problems that require medical attention:
- Hypothermia, which can lead to confusion, dizziness, exhaustion and severe shivering.
- Frostbite, with its warning signs of gray, white or yellow skin discoloration, numbness, waxy feeling skin.
Families should take care to heat their homes safely, the Red Cross said. Use caution with portable space heaters by placing space heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible, including wallpaper, bedding, clothing, pets and people. Never leave space heaters operating when you are not in the room or when you go to bed. Don't leave children or pets unattended near space heaters.
Also, use a sturdy fireplace screen when burning fires, the Red Cross said. Burn only wood - never burn paper or pine boughs.
To prevent frozen pipes, open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
When the temperature is very low outside, let the cold water drip from faucets served by exposed pipes or pipes in exterior walls. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing because the temperature of the water running through it is above freezing.
- 1 Easton Couple Charged With Running Prescription Drug Ring In Fairfield
- 2 Newtown Must Pay Cop $380K For Post-Sandy Hook Shooting PTSD
- 3 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 4 Weston Rowers Advance To Youth National Championships
- 5 Surge Of Warm Weather Heads For Easton, Redding, Weston