The Charter Revision Committee had met 36 times to prepare the new charter, which was approved by the Board of Selectmen with minor changes.
The new charter makes the tax collector position appointed. The Charter Revision commission initially sought to make the town clerk position appointed, but opposition from citizens prompted it to keep the position elected.
The new charter also specifies that the town budget be approved by the annual Town Meeting and by a referendum taken by machine ballot. The Board of Finance must review the budget to allow for changes in response to public views. A quorum must be present at the Town Meeting for changes to the budget. Voting at the Annual Town Budget Meeting is by secret ballot to promote broader participation.
- 1 Easton Couple Charged With Running Prescription Drug Ring In Fairfield
- 2 Demographic Changes Leave Weinstein Wondering About Weston’s Future
- 3 Population Grows In Easton, Redding, Weston, All Of Fairfield County
- 4 Newtown Must Pay Cop $380K For Post-Sandy Hook Shooting PTSD
- 5 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens