Updated: FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- A fire at Engravers World in downtown Fairfield has shut down the Post Road on Thursday, fire officials said.
The fire was called in at about 11:45 a.m. Thursday, fire officials said. Fire and dense smoke was coming from the back of the store, at 1555 Post Road, when firefighters arrived.
Chief Richard Felner believes the fire began in the back of Engravers World. The flames extended into the second floor offices, he said. Everyone was evacuated from the business, and no one was injured, he said.
Engravers World and Fairfield Clothiers both sustained extensive fire and water damage, Felner said.
The blaze was under control at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday.
"We're finishing up and trying to find the cause," Felner said. When firefighters arrived, heavy black smoke was pouring out of the front of the building, he said.
The Post Road was closed between Reef and Ruane, nearly the entire downtown shopping area in Fairfield. Cars were being directed on the streets around the downtown area.
Pedestrians and shoppers were allowed to walk on the south side of the street. Many of the shops were still open in downtown Fairfield. Many of the stores were reopening on the north side of the Post Road near where the fire occurred.
Nine trucks have responded, including engines from Westport and Bridgeport.
Southern Connecticut Gas officials were also on the scene.
Check back with the Daily Voice for more information on this fire.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Weston, Easton; Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Forecast Worsens With More Snow Predicted For Easton, Redding, Weston
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow
- 4 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Weston With Snow, Ice In Forecast