EASTON, Conn. ‒ Three hundred voters had cast ballots by noon Friday in the special election for Easton treasurer. The polls are open until 8 p.m. at the Samuel Staples Elementary School.
The morning's turnout was less than 6 percent of Easton's 5,230 registered voters.
The election pits Interim Treasurer Wendy Bowditch against petitioning candidates Robert Webbe and Vincent Caprio. All are Republicans, with Bowditch listed as the Republican on the ballot with the Easton Republican Town Committee's endorsement. There is no Democrat in the race.
On June 5, Bowditch was appointed by the selectmen to fill the treasurer position until the next election in November 2013, but Webbe and Caprio collected 20 signatures each to qualify for the special election.
Bowditch, 54, is employed at J.M. Lummis and Co. Caprio, 55, is executive director of the NanoBusiness Commercialization Association. Webbe is an account executive for New Chapter, a Brattleboro, Vt., nutritional supplements manufacturer.
- 1 Easton, Redding, Weston Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Weston
- 3 Lots Of Buzz Going On At Weston's Red Bee Honey
- 4 Plane Skids Off Runway At LaGuardia Airport, All Flights Diverted
- 5 Expect More Snow: Winter Weather Advisory Remains In Effect In Weston