REDDING, Conn. -- Redding's Olivia J. Tompkins has been inducted into the St. Lawrence University English Department's honorary society.
Tompkins, a member of the class of 2016 at St. Lawrence, was recently named to the Irving Bacheller Society. Tompkins is majoring in English and performance and communications arts. Tompkins graduated from Joel Barlow High School.
To be eligible for membership, students must have either completed four English courses and maintained a 3.5 grade point average in English or completed six English courses with at least a 3.25 GPA in English and a 3.0 GPA overall, according to a release.
The Irving Bacheller Society is named for 1882 graduate of St. Lawrence Eben Holden, who went on to write the first best-selling novel of the 20th century.
- 1 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 2 Man Caught After Assault On Trooper Leads To Chase That Ends On Route 7
- 3 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 4 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events In Weston, Easton, Redding
- 5 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters