EASTON/REDDING, Conn. – The Region 9 School District has requested a nearly 2.2 percent increase in spending for the 2013-14 school year to operate Joel Barlow High School.
A $22.5 million budget for next year, an increase of 2.17 percent from the current $22 million spending plan, was presented to the Region 9 Board of Education by Head of School Tom McMorran. Joel Barlow serves students from Easton and Redding, and each town pays a portion of the school budget.
General instruction makes up a bulk of the spending, accounting for $9.88 million of the expenses, an increase of about $314,000.
The district is also asking for a $40,000 increase to pay the salary of a fifth security staff member, said Peggy Sullivan, finance and operations director for the Region 9 school district. The district is also facing higher special education costs because more students with those needs are coming to Joel Barlow, she said.
The Region 9 school board and its financial advisory committee will host a budget workshop March 11. The board could vote on spending plan at its March 19 meeting, Sullivan said.
- 1 Easton, Redding, Weston Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Weston
- 3 Lots Of Buzz Going On At Weston's Red Bee Honey
- 4 Plane Skids Off Runway At LaGuardia Airport, All Flights Diverted
- 5 Expect More Snow: Winter Weather Advisory Remains In Effect In Weston