WESTON, Conn. — Jack Kerns, the newest member of the Weston Commission for Children and Youth, is a member of Premonition, an alternative rock band that performs at teen centers in Westport, Wilton and other surrounding towns.
“But there’s no teen center in Weston, so I’d like to see one here,” he said.
Kerns said he will encourage the commission to open a teen center in Weston. In addition, he wants to stand up for average students. “I’m friends with underachievers, and I feel like the opinions of these students aren’t regularly voiced and what they want isn’t implemented,” he said.
Recently named an Eagle Scout after completing a community service project for which he built a greenhouse at the Weston Middle School, Kerns is eager to work with the commission. “I’ve done lots of volunteer work,” he said, “the Big Brothers and Sisters program and an assistant teacher at the Lego camp.”
Kerns is a junior at Weston High School, and he said science is his favorite subject.
He was unanimously approved to join the commission at the selectmen's meeting Thursday night, with First Selectman Gayle Weinstein complimenting him on his volunteer work and Scouting accomplishments.
- 1 Easton, Redding, Weston Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Weston
- 3 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 4 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Storm Hits Weston, Easton, Redding
- 5 Lots Of Buzz Going On At Weston's Red Bee Honey