FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – The Connecticut State Open cross country championships scheduled for Friday have been postponed until Sunday due to Hurricane Sandy. The girls race will begin at 2 p.m., and the boys race will begin at 2:45 p.m. at Wickham Park in Manchester.
The delay was announced Wednesday as the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference delayed the start of state tournaments in all fall sports.
Many Fairfield County teams are affected in cross country. Danbury’s boys and Ridgefield’s girls won the Class LL championships and are among the favorites in Sunday’s race. Staples’ Henry Wynne and Fairfield Warde’s Cate Allen won individual titles in Class LL and are also among the pre-race favorites.
Boys teams from Darien, Fairfield Warde, Fairfield Prep, Ridgefield, Staples and Weston will also run. Girls teams in Sunday’s race include Darien, Fairfield Warde, Immaculate, Westhill and Wilton. Several individuals from other schools will also race.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Weston, Easton; Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Weston With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 4 Weston Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 5 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Weston, Easton, Redding