REDDING, Conn. – Joel Barlow’s girls basketball team stood toe-to-toe with undefeated Notre Dame of Fairfield for three quarters Friday night. Unfortunately for the Falcons, a dismal second quarter proved to be the difference as the Lancers posted a 54-36 victory.
Sarah McAniff and Drew Bartro scored nine points apiece for Barlow (2-2). Jovan Kingwood scored 18 for the Lancers (5-0), and Amber James tossed in 13.
Barlow led 8-5 after the end of a sloppy first quarter. Kelly Mahoney’s jumper just before the buzzer seemed to give the Falcons momentum heading into the second quarter.
Notre Dame scored on its first five trips down the floor in the second quarter. That started a 22-0 run that finally ended when Barlow's Victoria Shea hit a three-point play with 2:26 remaining in the half. Barlow turned the ball over 10 times in the period, shot 1-for-6 from the floor and surrendered 27 points to trail 32-11 at halftime.
The Falcons looked much more cohesive in the second half. Bartro scored all nine of her points in the second half, and Kate Williges added six. Barlow outscored Notre Dame 25-22 in the final 16 minutes.
Barlow, which won 31 games over the past two seasons combined, plays North Haven and Platt Tech in non-league games during the holiday break next week. The Falcons return to Southwest Conference action on Jan. 2 at home vs. Masuk.
- 1 Danbury Fair Goes Green By Adding Fuel Cell To Power The Mall
- 2 Weston, Easton, Redding Named Among SafeWise's Safest Places In State
- 3 Change In Management As CEO Resigns From Westport Weston Family Y
- 4 Connecticut Puts Nine People Under Quarantine To Monitor For Ebola
- 5 Redding Skater Glides Onto Skate America Ice For Grand Prix Debut