REDDING, Conn. – Joel Barlow’s girls basketball team stood toe-to-toe with undefeated Notre Dame of Fairfield for three quarters Friday night. Unfortunately for the Falcons, a dismal second quarter proved to be the difference as the Lancers posted a 54-36 victory.
Sarah McAniff and Drew Bartro scored nine points apiece for Barlow (2-2). Jovan Kingwood scored 18 for the Lancers (5-0), and Amber James tossed in 13.
Barlow led 8-5 after the end of a sloppy first quarter. Kelly Mahoney’s jumper just before the buzzer seemed to give the Falcons momentum heading into the second quarter.
Notre Dame scored on its first five trips down the floor in the second quarter. That started a 22-0 run that finally ended when Barlow's Victoria Shea hit a three-point play with 2:26 remaining in the half. Barlow turned the ball over 10 times in the period, shot 1-for-6 from the floor and surrendered 27 points to trail 32-11 at halftime.
The Falcons looked much more cohesive in the second half. Bartro scored all nine of her points in the second half, and Kate Williges added six. Barlow outscored Notre Dame 25-22 in the final 16 minutes.
Barlow, which won 31 games over the past two seasons combined, plays North Haven and Platt Tech in non-league games during the holiday break next week. The Falcons return to Southwest Conference action on Jan. 2 at home vs. Masuk.
- 1 Easton Man To Serve 15 Years In Prison For Trying To Kill Wife By Hanging
- 2 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation
- 3 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 4 Driver Pleads Guilty In Hit-And-Run Death Of Weston Cyclist
- 5 Family Asks For Help In Finding Missing College Student, 21, From Fairfield