FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- A day after its dramatic shootout victory over Russia, the U.S. men's hockey team topped Slovenia, 5-1, on Sunday to advance to the playoff qualifying round in the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
Phil Kessel of the Toronto Maple Leafs scored a hat trick, with one goal each from Ryan McDonagh and David Backes in the game at Shayba Arena in the final preliminary-round game.
Hamden native Jonathan Quick got a day off in goal after the eight-round shootout Saturday with Russia. Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk and New Canaan native Max Pacioretty are also members of Team USA.
U.S. men's hockey previously defeated Slovakia, 7-1, and edged Russia, 3-2, to complete Olypmic preliminary-round play with a 3-0 record.
Russia topped Slovakia, 1-0, in an overtime shootout on Sunday morning to also advance to the playoff qualifying round.
The men's hockey playoff qualifying round begins Tuesday.
- 1 Demographic Changes Leave Weinstein Wondering About Weston’s Future
- 2 Easton Couple Charged With Running Prescription Drug Ring In Fairfield
- 3 Population Grows In Easton, Redding, Weston, All Of Fairfield County
- 4 Showers, Thunderstorms Could Spoil Memorial Day In Weston, Easton, Redding
- 5 Newtown Must Pay Cop $380K For Post-Sandy Hook Shooting PTSD