WESTON, Conn. – The Weston eighth-grade football team finished its regular season in fine style. Now, the young Trojans will see if they can stay undefeated in the Fairfield County Football League playoffs.
Weston defeated New Canaan, 22-0, to finish the regular season 8-0. Weston is seeded second for the league playoffs, which begin this weekend. Darien Blue (8-0) earned the top seed via a coin flip. Weston, in its first year in the league, and Darien will have a first-round playoff byes.
In Sunday’s victory, Weston scored on its first possession on a 75-yard run by Alex Fruhbeis. Jason Lawrence added two long touchdown runs for Weston. George Goetz and Brendan Kirk ran tough in between the tackles.
Once again the offensive line of Weston played well. John Murphy, Nate Jacobson, Peter Jegan, Robbie Waltzman, Michael Otworth, Brandon Postlethwaite, Jackson Quist and Stephen Tyler opened holes for Weston’s backs. Quarterbacks Dom DeCaro and Alex Fruhbeis also played well.
The defense had a very strong game led by team captain Zach Spencer. Peter Achar, Jackson Aguas, Konrad Freitag, Gavin Wrynn, Elijah Hutchinson, Nicholas Lange, Bobby Lummis, Owen McCarthy, Matthew Oakes and Sal Vento were other defensive stalwarts.
- 1 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 2 Weston, Easton, Redding Will See Widespread Snow Into Monday
- 3 United Illuminating, Easton's Power Supplier, Sold To Spanish Firm
- 4 Snow Likely At End Of Weekend In Weston, Easton, Redding
- 5 Police Search Icy Lake Ontario For Missing Student, 21, From Fairfield