WESTON, Conn. – As the popularity of paddle tennis grows in Fairfield County, so does the competition for titles in tournaments, such as Saturday’s Connecticut State Mixed at Aspetuck Valley Country Club in Weston.
Fields for the A and B draws in the tournament have sold out, tournament director Juan Arraya said.
“The level is going to be ridiculous,’’ said Arraya, who has won the main draw of the tournament with partner Sherri Shea for three straight years. “The competition is just so tough.”
The tournament will be played at Aspetuck Valley and other nearby venues. The Fairfield County Hunt Club, Patterson Club, Wilton Riding Club, the Country Club of New Canaan, New Canaan Field Club, Wee Burn Country Club and the Country Club of Darien also will host matches. The semifinals begin at 3 p.m. at Aspetuck Valley. The finals are scheduled to begin at 4:30 p.m.
While the paddle season begins in October, there are few mixed tournaments.
“It’s the first mixed event of the season, so a lot of people want to play in this one,’’ Arraya said.
- 1 Snow Could Be Returning To Weston, Easton, Redding
- 2 Construction Worker Shot To Death At Road Work Site In Bridgeport
- 3 Weston, Easton, Redding Could Could See Another Round Of Snow
- 4 Suspect In Custody In Shooting Death Of Bridgeport Construction Worker
- 5 Ridgefield Schools Technology Guru Leaving For New Post In Weston