WESTPORT, Conn. – Westport’s sixth STEP UP event to assist job seekers and employers will be held on May 29 at the Westport Inn Ballroom.
The event starts at 7 a.m. with refreshments and check-in, followed by presentations and booth visits from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
STEP UP (Subsidized Training and Employment Program) is an incentive program designed to bridge the gap between job seekers and employers. Employers can be awarded one of two types of grants: one for training and one for wages.
The training grant program provides incentives of up to $12,500 to employ one new hire for six months. Training must be held on-site. Some job training programs used with this type of grant include project engineer and toolmaker jobs.
The subsidized wage program provides incentives for new hires up to $20 per hour, reimbursable up to a maximum of $12,000, excluding benefits, over a 180 day period. Some job training programs used with this grant include graphic designers and accountants.
To date, 2,200 jobs have been filled around the state by more than 700 employers who have asked to be part of the STEP UP program.
Employers interested in participating in either the original Step Up incentives or in the Step Up for Vets program can find additional information online by visiting the Department of Labor’s Step Up site.
- 1 Danbury Fair Goes Green By Adding Fuel Cell To Power The Mall
- 2 Weston, Easton, Redding Named Among SafeWise's Safest Places In State
- 3 Change In Management As CEO Resigns From Westport Weston Family Y
- 4 Redding Skater Glides Onto Skate America Ice For Grand Prix Debut
- 5 Connecticut Puts Nine People Under Quarantine To Monitor For Ebola