WILTON, Conn. – A 5k run for Anna Getner, a 9-year-old from Wilton who has been diagnosed with leukemia, will start at Merwin Meadows in Wilton on Saturday at 8:15 a.m.
The race, dubbed 821 For Anna – A Leukemia Journey, will also include a 1k walk. The race is to support Anna during her treatment for leukemia. Doctors have said she will require treatment for two years and three months, or 821 days, to cure her of cancer, according to the race website.
Anna is a student at Cider Mill School and has valiantly been fighting leukemia since last fall, the website said. Cider Mill hosted a bone marrow drive with the help of Be the Match Foundation in February.
She was a cheerleader in the Wilton Youth Football program last year. Her stepfather, John Schiaroli, a longtime runner in the area, is helping to organize Saturday’s race along with her mother, Heather.
The Pizza Truck Company will be at the race, serving up food after the run.
- 1 Woman, 50, Charged With Stealing SAT Exam In June From Wilton High
- 2 Westport Mom Charged With Leaving Baby In Car At Whole Foods
- 3 Man Drowns In Creek On Bridgeport/Fairfield Border After Bar Fight
- 4 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 5 Two Teenage Girls Rescued From Water After Tubing Accident Off Fairfield