WESTON, Conn. — The Fresh Air Fund's goal of sending 4,100 New York City schoolchildren for visits this summer includes plans to increase the number of families from Easton, Redding and Weston who take part.
Last year, 12 families in Weston, eight in Redding and five in Easton hosted children for one to two weeks.
Martha Mintzer, who coordinates the volunteer program in Weston, hosted two girls from the Bronx, N.Y., last summer who returned over the holiday season. "Estrella and Genesis came up in December and helped us celebrate Hanukkah," she said. "It was new for them."
Dawn Kelk hosted Skylynn, a 9-year-old from the Bronx, who also came to visit during the holidays. "At Christmas-time we made Christmas cookies and she went skating for the first time at Longshore," she said. "It's an opportunity to give kids an experience they wouldn't have otherwise."
For more information about hosting a child this summer, fill out this form or call 800-367-0003.
- 1 Western Connecticut Reopens Evacuated Buildings On Midtown Danbury Campus
- 2 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Is Reportedly Brain Dead
- 3 Weston Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 4 CDC Confirms First Case Of EV-D68 In Connecticut Child
- 5 Easton Doctor Named Physician Of The Year At St. Vincent's Medical Center