FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy emphasized the state's investment in Metro-North Railroad in a visit Thursday, June 5, to the New Haven Rail Yard.
“I want to ensure riders have as safe and reliable a commute as possible. That’s why we have invested, and will continue to invest, billions in our rail infrastructure to serve the people of Connecticut,” said Malloy. “We could not operate the New Haven Line – the busiest in the nation – without the New Haven Rail Yard. This facility has served our rail system since the mid-1800s, when trains first began operating in the Northeast Corridor. This rebuilding and expansion is the best demonstration of our commitment to investing in new facilities, maintaining our rail assets and providing the best and safest possible service to Connecticut commuters.”
The rail yard is undergoing a $1.15 billion, multiyear upgrade and expansion.
Malloy was joined by state Department of Transportation Commissioner James Redeker and other state and local officials.
A fifth new power supply substation has been put into service on the New Haven Line, adding more redundancy and increasing service options to reduce the chance of future prolonged power failures on the commuter rail.
On Friday, May 30, the state Bond Commission approved $80 million for the rail yard program. The state funding will pay for a new warehouse for rail car components, storage tracks for rail cars, demolition of an old storage facility and a pedestrian bridge linking Union Station and the yard for employees.
“We have seen what can happen when there’s a major power failure on this railroad – disrupting service, inconveniencing commuters and the ripple effect into the local and regional economy,” said Redeker, referring to last fall’s power outage on the New Haven Line in Mount Vernon, N.Y., which disrupted service for two weeks. “We continue to make investments in our power supply and overall rail infrastructure, which are long overdue.”
Last month, a fifth new power supply substation was put into service for the rail yard, adding more redundancy and increasing options to reduce the chance of future prolonged power failures.
Earlier this year, a new substation in Cos Cob also went on line. In addition, 80 percent of the overhead catenary power lines, which provide power to the trains themselves, have now been replaced. The final phase of that project will begin in August and will be completed in May 2017.
These investments, along with other improvements along the New Haven Line and its three branches to New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury, total more than $2.5 billion.
For more information about the New Haven Rail Yard improvements, visit this website.
- 1 Weston Home Owned By Creators Of The Lobster Roll Hits The Market
- 2 Stop & Shop Recalls Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Employee Shot To Death In Robbery At Bridgeport Market
- 4 Driver To Serve 8 Years In Prison In Hit-And-Run Death Of Weston Cyclist
- 5 Newtown Razes Home Of Sandy Hook Shooter Adam Lanza