WESTPORT, Conn. – Despite the hopes that the new Westport Weston Family Y facility at the Mahackeno campus would be open on Labor Day, missing permits and certifications from the state are stalling the official opening.
“Unfortunately, we’re unable to confirm exactly when we will receive the necessary sign-offs from local and state officials, which would allow us to open our pools,” Family Y CEO Rob Reeves said. "We don't want to open our new Y until the entire facility is ready for use by our members and guests."
It wouldn’t be fair to the members to not have the whole facility at the new Mahackeno campus open for use, Communications Director Scott Smith said. Until the new facility is complete, the downtown facilities will remain open to members.
After the new 10-lane pool is filled, the state has a 10-day wait before it comes in to test the water and facility, which is a requirement for the pool to be permitted for use, Smith said.
“Based on our timeline we’re going to start filling the pool right around Aug. 18,” he said. It wasn't clear on how long the approval process would take, Smith said.
The new date for the opening will be announced later in August, but the official ribbon-cutting will still take place on Thursday, Aug. 28.
However, most everything else is in place, Smith said. The exercise equipment is ready for last placements and the yoga studio is scheduled for a mural painting.
For people interested in seeing the new Family Y, reserved tours are being given to small groups. With the large interest in the new facility, Smith said more dates will be added in September.
Here is the current list of tour dates and times:
- Friday, Aug. 8, 12:15 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 11, 12:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 13, 12:15 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 15, 12:15 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 18, 10:30 a.m., 12:15 and 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 19, 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 20, 10:30 a.m.; 12:15 and 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 21, 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 22, 10:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.
- Saturday, Aug. 23, 9, 10 and 11 a.m.
- Monday, Aug. 25, 10:30 a.m., 12:15 and 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 26, 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 27, 10:30 a.m., 12:15 and 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 28, 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.
For more information about the tours, contact Brian Marazzi, membership engagement director, at 203-226-8981, ext. 161, or via email.
- 1 9 Billionaires In Connecticut Make The Cut For Forbes 400
- 2 Metro-North Still Plans On Moving New Haven Line To Penn Station
- 3 Malloy's Sandy Hook Advisory Panel Calls For Homeschooling Oversight
- 4 Sandy Hook Students Safe After Evacuation Due To Bomb Threat
- 5 Real Estate Developer Appointed To Weston Building Board Of Appeals