WILDER, Vt. -- Barbara A. Switzer of Wilder, formerly of Fairfield, died Thursday, Feb. 6. She was 88.
Switzer was born Sept. 21, 1925, in Weston, Conn.; daughter of Charles and Barbara (Burr) Newell. She grew up in Westport, Conn., where she attended Staples High School. She worked for a short time at Woolworth's Five & Dime in Norwalk. After marriage she lived in Weston with her family and then later in Westport before they bought a home in Fairfield. She worked as a child care provider at the local YMCA in Fairfield. She moved to Wilder a couple of months ago, to live with her granddaughter and primary caregiver.
She was a former member of the First Congregational Church in Fairfield, Conn., and the VFW Auxiliary in Westport, Conn.
Switzer is survived by her daughters, Robyn Mackenzie of Selwyn, Ontario, Canada, Bunny Switzer of Wilder, Rebecca Sniadecki of Sandy Hook, Conn.; seven grandchildren; 23 great grandchildren; four great, great grandchildren; sisters, Betty Gleason and Beverly Newell both of Norwalk; and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband, William Switzer; Bonnie Switzer; and brother, Charles Newell, Jr.
A graveside service will be held at a later date in the Oak Lawn Cemetery in Fairfield, Conn.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, 55 Day Lane, Williston , VT 05495 -146.
For more information, please visit: http://www.knightfuneralhomes.com
- 1 Brody Family Sues Metro-North After Mother's Fatal Collision With Train
- 2 Fairfield County Home Renovated By 'Property Brothers' Holds Open House
- 3 One Killed In Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield; Two Pulled From Wreckage
- 4 Y's Men Of Weston Learn About The Dangers Of AF From Cardiac Expert
- 5 Weston, Easton, Redding Could See Showers, Thunderstorms Tuesday