WESTON, Conn. -- Weston First Selectman Gayle Weinstein announced that the voting process will be changed during the town's Annual Town Budget Meeting on Wednesday, April 23, at Weston High School, according to the Weston Forum.
In previous meetings, voters would be asked to approve individual items within the budget, this year, however voters will either approve or deny entire categories, the Weston Forum reported.
Weinstein said the change is to help the meeting move along at a faster pace, the Weston Forum said.
According to the town's website, categories in the town operating budget to be voted on at the town budget meeting are:
- General Government, $6,359,599
- Public Safety, $2,560,772
- Public Works, $1,781, 736
- Sanitation, Health, Environment, $349,241
- Human Resources and Development, $663,313
- Parks and Recreation, $386,732
The annual town budget meeting will begin at 8 p.m., with check-in starting at 7:15 p.m.
Qualified voters include registered voters as well as U.S. citizens on the Weston Grand List owning property of $1,000 or more. The Registrars of Voters request that voters bring identification (driver’s license, credit card, utility bill, etc.) with them to expedite the process.
Once the budget figures are determined Wednesday, voters will have an opportunity to vote on the budget by machine (referendum) in the Weston High School Library. At that time, voters will be given a ballot and checked off the list as having voted.
For those unable to vote that evening, referendum voting will continue on Thursday, May 1, in the Weston Middle School gymnasium from noon until 8 pm. Voters can also vote by absentee ballot beginning on Thursday, April 24, in the Town Clerk’s office on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 pm. Once voting has ended on May 1, the moderator will read the combined results of both voting sessions.
- 1 Bridgeport Man Charged In Weston Home Invasion, Assault Of Woman
- 2 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 3 Man Drowns In Creek On Bridgeport/Fairfield Border After Bar Fight
- 4 Westport Firefighters Douse Blaze In Backyard Gas Grill
- 5 Connecticut NAACP Announces Probe Into 2014 Death Of Redding Lawyer