WESTON, Conn. -- Weston High School has been named one of the most challenging high schools in Connecticut, ranking fourth in the state, and is the most challenging school in Fairfield County, according to a new national study of public and private high schools conducted by the Washington Post.
According to the report, the study ranks schools through an index formula that is a simple ratio: the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year, divided by the number of seniors who graduated that year. A ratio of 1.000 means the school had as many tests as graduates.
Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career, called equity and excellence, according to the report.
Weston High School received an index score of 2.780 with its 100 percent four-year graduation rate, average SAT score of 1,792, an average ACT score of 27.1 and an offering of 17 Advanced Placement courses.
Weston also was ranked the 78th-most challenging school in the Northeast region and 594th nationally.
Connecticut International Baccalaureate Academy in East Hartford was ranked the most challenging school in Connecticut with an index of 5.351. American Indian Public Charter School in Oakland, Calif., was named the most challenging school in America with an index of 21.909 in the Post's study.
The most challenging high schools in Fairfield County that qualified for the study are:
1. Weston High School (2.780)
2. Ridgefield High School (2.723)
3. Westhill High School (2.439)
4. Staples High School (2.351)
5. Greenwich High School (2.303)
6. New Canaan High School (1.928)
- 1 Wilton Police Arrest 15-Year-Old In Swastika Incident At High School
- 2 Weston High School Boosters Plan Food And Wine Festival
- 3 Weston, Easton Could See Overnight Showers Heading Into Last Day Of Summer
- 4 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Dies Of Injuries
- 5 Happy Birthday To Easton’s Elise Broach